The Gydo Pass was built in 1848 under the supervision of Andrew Geddes Bain. At the same time he was also engaged in the construction of Michell's Pass.
Its name is derived from a Khoikhoi term, meaning a steep pass.
Prince Alfred Hamlet, at the foot of the Gydo Pass, was established on 8 December 1874. It was laid out on the farm Wagenboom-river, owned by J.G. Goosen.
It is a resting-place at the foot of the Gydo Pass and a center for the surrounding farms.
The Gydo Pass is on the road into the Kouebokkeveld.
Drive this winding road road to the Koue Bokkeveld, especially during winter and witness its beauty and stark attraction.